The Jerusalem Post (Link) - Yaakov Katz (January 23, 2010)
IDF Home Front Command teams rescued a 22-year-old man from a building near the Presidential Palace in Port-au-Prince on Friday, nearly 10 days after a devastating earthquake rocked Haiti.
International search teams have rescued 132 people since the 7.0-magnitude quake on January 12, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said.
Haiti’s government has confirmed 111,481 deaths and has also counted some 609,000 people without shelter in the Port-au-Prince metropolitan area. On Saturday night, French rescue workers also located a man in a vegetable store who had been trapped since the quake.
The man saved by the IDF, Emmannuel Buso, was in stable condition, and was being treated at the IDF field hospital. Buso said that he survived 10 days under the rubble by drinking his own urine and spent most of his time in a listless daze, at times dreaming of his mother and thinking that he had in fact died. “I am here today because God wants it,” he said.